Saturday, May 12, 2012

Mother's Day.

As Mother's Day approaches, I look at the calendar like it is any other day.  A soccer game, Tom is out of town, and thank God we do not have a house showing.  I think for a brief moment how nice it would be to drive home and see my Mom for Mother's Day.  That would mean no school for Connor on Monday and Tuesday.....I don't know, we'll see. That is what Mother's Day is about when you are in the thick of it, right?  Waking up in the morning with extra awareness that you were given these wonderful children to care for and muddle through all the "everyday's" of life with. 

My Mom got me a book for Easter that I have read numerous times already.  There are some really great sayings in there.  Here are some of my favorites....

"A daughter needs a mother so she knows the meaning of unconditional love."
 I like this one because that feeling is so familiar. We learn it when we are so little. That first time we do something we know we aren't supposed to do.  We aren't afraid of Mom because she won't love us anymore, but because she might be disappointed in us.

"A daughter needs a mother to show her how even the smallest act can help change the world."
Living where we did, we would get midnight visitors from people who broke down on the road, or were just walking and needed a ride. My Mom and Dad were always so willing to help. These are the first memories of them helping those in need. Maybe it didn't change the world, but it sure did change that persons day.

"A daughter needs a mother who will remind her to take a jacket- even when she's grown."
:)

"A daugher needs a mother who will encourage her to let her imagination run wild."
I have always loved imagination, and it is something that I think is so important to pass down.

"A daughter needs a mother to remind her that self worth is based on much more than a pretty face."
Growing up I loved Cinderella and the princesses. I also loved Barbie. But I never remember thinking that I had to look like them to be "pretty" or worth anything. Today there are so many people who think that if you let your daughter fall in love with princesses or imagine with Barbie, you are teaching her she has to actually be those things.  I believe that a mother tells her daughter she is beautiful, and the daughter doesn't compare herself to Barbie or Cinderella. Then they become what they were meant to be....fun.

"A daughter needs a mother who will show her that there is always time to dance."
I love this one and try to remember it everyday with my kids.

"A daughter needs a mother to be the wisest teacher she'll ever have."
This one is proving to be so true. Not only with me, but with Connor as well. As he navigates his way through school, I feel like I am constantly filling in the moral gaps. Going further into what it means to have integrity and be responsible. Integrity is more important to me than good grades, or a million friends. My mom always said the same things. "If they are really your friends they won't care....."

"A daughter needs a mother who will never think she's too old to need her."
I still need my Mom!

So, to everyone out there, mom or not, Happy Mother's Day! 





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sara, your mom is sure lucky to have such a wonderful daughter. And I'm glad that you are in our lives as well! Happy Mother's Day and much love. Michele xoxo

Anonymous said...

You're the best daughter a mom could ask for. Love you googles!!!! :)